Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Spaghetti Sauce Recipe



My husband and his family are constantly telling me how great their Grandmother's cooking was when they were growing up. As an Italian and the Matriarch of the family, she was adept at bringing the whole family together for a meal. They all get so excited when they recount all the tasty meals she used to prepare from scratch. That's right! Those spectacular home cooked recipes from the old country are the stuff that myths are made of. Especially since Nana Onusic cooked by feel. Meaning? A pinch of this and a snip of that. Not exactly helpful when once she's passed away, and you want to recreate the meals she used to make. So I have been on a hunt for a spaghetti sauce recipe that is both delicious and easy to produce. This is the first one that my husband has liked. And believe me, I have tried tons! So, in honor of Nana Onusic, I have decided o start some of our own Garcia Family traditions. So if you too are looking to make some spaghetti sauce from scratch, here is a little recipe from me to you.
This recipe makes about ten servings. So you can have yummy leftovers or freeze the extra sauce for another week. Believe it or not, my husband loves it so much, that I have to double this recipe, in order to have leftovers. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
2 lbs Ground Italian sausage
1 small onion (chopped)
4 garlic cloves (minced)
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 (6 oz) cans tomato paste
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
2 cups water
3 teaspoons basil
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1 ½ teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I usually put more)
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup red wine
Cooking Instructions:
Step 1: In a large pot brown Italian sausage. I used a very big skillet when I composed this tutorial, but I recommend that you used a pot. It is much easier to stir without spilling. Break up sausage into bits as you stir. When sausage is about halfway cooked, add onions and continue to cook until they have become soft and sausage is cooked through.
Now add garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Mix them well.

Step 2: Add basil, parsley, brown sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Mix well and bring to a slow boil. Stir in red wine.

Step 3: Simmer on low stirring frequently for at least 1 hour, but I recommend 2 hours. Your sauce will be so much more flavorful. Serve over cooked spaghetti noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment