Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dog Poop Sack Bag Tutorial


Man's Best Friend. A title that I believe is very fitting,a nd sometimes, is an understatement. My husband and I have an English Bull Dog named Harley. She is an intricate part of our family. If you asked her, she'd probably tell you that she's the "Woman" of the house. I'm pretty sure that she still thinks that I'm just visiting. Sad, but true. My husband is always asking me why I don't ever make anything for Harley. So this is my gift to that special little lady in our lives. Harley loves her walks. As a matter of fact, you cannot say the word walk in our house unless you plan on taking her for one right then and there. Otherwise a doggy temper tantrum enuses. And believe me, it's not pretty. So, my husband I have started spelling out the word, like we're dealing with a real child or something. True story. So here is a little tutorial for those of you who like to take long walks with your four-legged pal. A cute little pouch to carry your dog's poop sacks in. It's quick and easy. Enjoy!

Materials:
Scrap of fabric 12" by 10"
Sewing machine, thread
6" piece of thin elastic
1" of Velcro
Iron

First, cut your fabric to a 10" by 12" piece. Then cut a second piece that is 2 1/2" by 6"




Next take your 10"x12" piece and fold the top (12 inch side) down twice and press with an iron.


Next you are going to prepare the strap for your pouch. With wrong side of fabric up, fold each long side inward about a 1/4" and press. Then Press ends down.


Finally, fold strap in half with wrong sides together and press with iron. Strap should look like this, once you are finished.

Place your fabric and piece of elastic on your machine. I made sure that my needle was in the down position already through the fabric and elastic before I started. It may be a little difficult to sew and stretch at the same time, but once you get a few stitches in, it will get a little easier. Take your time.


Pulling your elastic as tight as you can to make sure it runs the whole length of the top side, sew down the length of the fabric. I used a straight-line stitch here, but I recommend using a zigzag stitch. It is much more effective.


Don't worry if your elastic stretches past the edge of the fabric. You can trim that off later.

At this point in time, your project should look like this:


Next, place your strap on your machine and machine stitch around the outer edge of the entire strap.



Your strap should look like this when you're finished:


Lastly, you need to attach the velcro pieces to your strap. I machine stitch mine, because it is far more faster than hand stitching them on.



Fold your strap in half and mark the midway point, so you'll know where to attach it to your bag. Pin the strap about 3/4" in from one of your side seams.



Once your strap is pinned, fold the ouch piece right sides together and pin them together. You're almost ready to sew the side seams.


When you are done it should look like this.


Almost done. Take your fabric and place it like this so the side seam is now in the middle. Sew the bottom seam and trim the corners when you are done.



Turn your bag inside out and that is it. Fill it with bags and attach it to your leash!

Now you're ready to take your best friend for a W-A-L-K. You will be the most stylish person at the doggie park with this:


No comments:

Post a Comment